The below information can be found in the below downloadable PDF document.
The Sacrament of Baptism
Holy Baptism is the basis of the whole Christian life, the gateway to life in the Spirit and the door which gives access to the other sacraments. Through Baptism we are freed from sin and reborn as sons of God; we become members of Christ, are incorporated into the Church and made sharers in her mission: Baptism is the sacrament of regeneration through water in the wordCatechism of the Catholic Church, n° 1213
The Sacrament of Confirmation
With Baptism and Eucharist, the sacrament of Confirmation constitute together the “sacraments of Christian initiation”, whose unity must be safeguarded. It must be explained to the faithful that the reception of the sacrament of Confirmation is necessary for the completion of baptismal grace. For “by the sacrament of Confirmation”, the baptized are more perfectly bound to the Church and are enriched with a special strength of the Holy Spirit. Hence they are, as true witnesses of Christ, more strictly obliged to spread and defend the faith by word and deed.Catechism of the Catholic Church, n° 1285
- Contact your parish three months in advance for the Sacraments preparation and for registration procedure.
- Ensure the rescripts are and necessary ecclesiastic authorizations, in case the celebration of the sacrament is to take place outside the parish or if candidate is non-Christian.
- Fill out your parish required registration forms.
- Provide an official document of the candidate:
- A copy of birth certificate
- A copy of health insurance, or
- A copy of driving license
- Present a proof of Baptism and Confirmation of both godparents.
- Present a proof of Baptism and Confirmation of parents.
- Provide a certificate of Baptism of the candidate and present two baptized confirmed witnesses (in case of celebration of Confirmation sacrament).
- Attend one of the annual compulsory sessions for Sacraments preparation depending on the candidate convenience.
Godparents: Lawfulness and Validity
The godfather and the godmother have the mission of accompanying the candidate to baptism and to initiate him/her to the Christian faith.
In order that their mission be licit, they should have a life compliant to the Christian faith and have reached the age of 16 years, according to the particular code of the Maronite Church.
In order that their assignment be valid, they must:
- Have been initiated to the 3 sacraments of the Christian initiation: Baptism, Confirmation and Eucharist;
- Belong to the Catholic Church (except paragraph 3 of Canon 685 of CCEO: if the godfather /godmother is attached to an Oriental non Catholic parish, the other party should be Catholic);
- Have the intention of filling this mission;
- Be chosen either by the candidate to baptism (if adult), or by the parents, or by his/her tutors or, by default, by the minister;
- Be chosen outside of the family cell (father, mother, spouse of candidate to baptism, if adult);
- Be free from any excommunication, even a minor one, of suspense, of deposition or any rights deprivation to fill out the charge of godparent.
Choice and Preparation of Ceremony
- Choose the language of ceremony (Arabic, French and/or English).
- Inform the secretariat concerning music or decoration during the celebration (left to family
- Provide a soap, a white towel and white clothes for the ceremony of baptism (Candles will be provided by the parish).
- Respect the Maronite Church liturgical ritual (hymns, prayers, music, etc.).
A financial contribution is appreciated to cover the administrative fees, the use of the church and other services. However, this contribution should not be an obstacle preventing the sacrement celebration. It can vary according to each parish context.