The below information can be found in the below downloadable PDF document.
Sacrament of Marriage
The matrimonial covenant, by which a man and a woman establish between themselves a partnership of the whole of life, is by its nature ordered toward the good of the spouses and the procreation and education of offspring; this covenant between baptized persons has been raised by Christ the Lord to the dignity of a sacrament.Catechism of the Catholic Church, n. 1601
- Be baptized and confirmed
- Contact your parish at least 6 months in advance for the registration and the preparation the procedure:
- Make the request for publication of the notice of marriage on the website of the Director of Service Quebec in presence of the priest.
- Ensure documents and necessary ecclesiastic dispensations where candidates’ situation would require (see table of permissions and exemptions).
- For exception, please address your parish priest for guidance.
- Attend one of the mandatory annual sessions for the marriage preparation.
- Complete the prenuptial survey and sign it in front of the priest.
- Fill the registration forms required by your parish.
- Provide the following official documents:
- Copy of Birth Certificate.
- Baptism and Confirmation certificate, issued within the last 6 months preceding the marriage date.
- Copy of health insurance or driving license.
- Civil status certificate (original copy).
- Free religious status certificate from both churches of the two candidates.
- Civil marriage certificate (if any).
- Marriage annulment of act of divorce (copy, if any).
- Baptism certificate for both witnesses.
- ID in French for both witnesses.
- Written commitment, if one of parties is non-Catholic or non-Christian, to guarantee Baptism, Confirmation, Spiritual Education and religious Catholic practice for children.
- Dispensation and/or authorization, if necessary (please consult table in annex).
Choice and Preparation of Ceremony
- Contact the parish secretariat for ceremony details:
- Choose the language of the ceremony.
- Choose the readings according to the ritual lexicon.
- Choose the chorus and the music according to the liturgical ritual.
- Coordinate the decoration of the church with the Secretariat/priest.
- Decide of the date of rehearsal with the Secretariat/priest.
N.B. : the natural place of the wedding is the parish Church. For any change or exception, an authorization from the Bishop is required.
A financial contribution is appreciated to cover the administrative fees, the use of the church and other services. However, this contribution should not be an obstacle preventing the sacrament celebration. It can vary according to each parish context.
|For the validity or lawfulness of marriage celebrated in the Maronite Church||Priest delegation of original parish||Priest permission of original parish||Bishop Delegation||Bishop Authorization||Bishop Dispensation||Registration of the parish priest to registers of marriages and baptisms|
|1 or 2 Maronites outside their parish||X||X||X||X|
|1 or 2 Maronites outside the Eparchy||X||X|
|2 Non-Maronite Christians||No jurisdiction|
|Mix Marriage Maronite + Non-Catholic Christian||X|
|Disparity of cult Maronite + Non-Baptized||X|